Frequently Asked Questions

Are your courses recognised?
The courses in the United Kingdom are recognised by the McTimoney Chiropractic Association, and all clinics count towards compulsory annual CPD education. The United Kingdom Equinology Equine Body Worker® certification is the professional qualification of the BSc in Equine Sports Therapy which is offered through ARU Writtle and University of Essex. The Caninology Canine Body Worker® certification is the professional qualification of the BSc in Canine Sports Therapy, offered through ARU Writtle.
All Equinology, Inc. courses are approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) for Continuing Education credits.
Equinology, Inc. is also an approved RACE provider (Registry of Approved Continuing Education) for veterinarians, and is recognized by the university programme of the USDF (United States Dressage Federation). Please contact the AAVSB RACE program at to verify your individual USA state board’s recognition of continuing education hours. Selected courses have been chosen for the RACE program.
Equinology courses and online classes are accepted by the American Council of Animal Naturopathy (ACAN) as electives and/or continuing education for certified animal and veterinary naturopaths.
Who are the teachers on your programme?
Our clinicians are all renowned veterinarians and specialists in their respective fields, so you will receive first-hand information based on the latest research in the field of equine and canine complementary healthcare science. All our clinicians travel around the world to teach courses at international locations including the USA, UK, Italy, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Students have the opportunity to study with the same clinician, regardless of course location. Full clinician biographies can be found on the Clinician Biographies page.
Do veterinarians recognise the Equinology Equine Body Worker® and Caninology Canine Body Worker® qualifications?
By United Kingdom law(Veterinary Surgeons Act, 1966) , you may only work on a horse or dog with veterinary permission and/or referral.
It is up to the individual EEBW to liaise with the veterinarian – we emphasise that we do not diagnose nor treat, and where any illness or injury is suspected the animal is immediately referred back to the primary veterinarian. Around the world, veterinarians regularly attend our classes.
Can I start my own practice and build a new career once I have taken the Equinology Equine Body Worker®/ Caninology Canine Body Worker®certification course, and once I am qualified as an EEBW or CCBW?
You will receive your certification upon successful completion of the Equinology Equine Body Worker®/Caninology Canine Body Worker® certification course and the required externship. You are then also eligible to join the International Equine Body Worker Association ( and take out full indemnity insurance through the Equinenergy® Block Scheme Insurance with Balens, Ltd.
If you can work together with another professional in your area, for example, a veterinarian, chiropractor, osteopath or physiotherapist you could have a jump-start to a solid client base.
The time to build up your client base will depend on your geographical location, the size of the equine population in that area and other therapists already working in the area.
Once you are qualified, it is a good idea to introduce yourself and your work to fellow professionals in your area. During the course we emphasise marketing tips and ideas to help you set up a successful practice!
How much can I expect to charge for consultations?
This is largely dependent on your geographical location. We generally suggest a fee similar to that charged by fellow professionals in your area. You can expect to increase your charges as your levels of qualifications increase.
How long will it take me to get the Master Equinology Equine Body Worker (MEEBW) qualification?
We usually suggest a timescale of 12 to 18 months, depending on how much time you can dedicate to the courses. The courses are all offered in modular form, which means that you can take them in any order, and there is no time restriction on how long you take before testing for a higher level of certification.
Most of our students are either working professionals or in full-time employment with a view to changing career, so the option of modular study combines well with employment.
Is financial assistance available?
Some local councils (for example, in rural areas) will offer grants towards study fees. Please check in your local area, and contact the Equinenergy® course office if course documentation is required to support your grant application.
If you plan to attend a number of courses to test for a higher level of certification and agree to sign up for all the required classes, we can spread the payments over a predetermined length of time. Contact the Equinenergy® course office for details.
Is there a governing body or association for qualified Equine Body Workers?
The International Equine Body Worker Association (IEBWA) is the international centralised regulatory and supporting body for all student and qualified Body Workers.
Members receive full listing on the IEBWA page.
The Association represents its members at trade functions and in professional communications.The IEBWA has branches in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Do you offer distance learning?
There are several answers to this one question! It is not that Equinology does not offer selected distance learning applications towards courses, it would be more correct to say Equinology does not offer a certification through distance learning.
First of all, distance learning is considered studying from your own home or environment. This can take various forms. Some distance learning is accomplished through one application or a combination of study guides, workbooks and videos. Others involve on-line education which can be similar to videos, or in real time through virtual classroom tuition directly with the instructor.
Many of the study guides and workbooks entail learning on paper only but no actual practical application. Others ask you to try the application on the animal but how do you know if you are doing this correctly without supervision during your studies? At Equinology, when a student enrolls in the Equinology Equine Body Worker® certification course (or any other course with a prerequisite of veterinary terminology and vocabulary), we require students to register for online anatomy course course EQ50, available through Participants are expected to spend around 100 hours working through this course before the class begins. The same applies to the Caninology Canine Body Worker® certification process.
Even though students will have gone through the material before the class, we always revise the work at the actual course, mostly because learning this hugely important material on paper only offers a two-dimensional aspect.
The practical hands-on application at the course solidifies the material. Twenty-four years of running the courses has proven this time and time again.
Certain online courses are available via – these are outline on the Course Information and Pricing page.
The Equinology Equine Body Worker® certification courses are all fully booked, do you recommend any other courses to start my studies?
The progressive intensive anatomy course, EQ900E, is an excellent precursor to the Foundation massage course. As sports massage relies on knowledge and accuracy in terms of naming and locating anatomical landmarks, students have a great head start to the massage programme if they attend the intensive anatomy workshop. This course is also part of the EEBW Level II programme, so successful completion will automatically count as credit towards preparation for Level II testing.
I am a horse owner and want to take some shorter courses for the benefit of my own horses, can you suggest any workshops?
We offer an in-depth introductory course to equine bodywork, specifically aimed at owners, riders and trainers. Full information can be found on the Course Information and Pricing page under EQ75E.
What are the options of continuing education, following completion of the EEBW or CCBW certification?
We offer higher levels of certification for the equine and canine body worker programmes:

Graduate EEBWs are eligible to join the RACE-approved program from the Academy of Animal Sport Science, in Animal (equine) Sports Therapy & Rehabilitation:

Continued education credits for IEBWA membership are available through the evidence-based online courses of the Online Academy of Equine Science:

Level II graduates are eligible to join the equine or canine osteopathic programme through Animal Osteopathy International: